Re: [MV] 2.5 versuses 5 ton trucks - CDLs

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 12:22:44 PDT

At 2:17 PM -0400 6/9/04, Neil E. Amrhein wrote:

>My point was merely that everyone needs to do their homework and DO
>NOT BELIEVE A DMV EMPLOYEE'S WORDS!! Whether they mean to or not,
>they lie!!
>
>Ryan, a 3-minute (or so) web search showed me that Georgia does
>indeed re-define "Commercial Motor Vehicle" to be more generic as
>follows:
>How vague could they possibly get with that one? In any case, it
>never hurts to be well prepared to battle with the DMV of any state.
>They do not have a good customer service image to keep up, so they
>don't really care.

No kidding, but I have in my hand two letters from the State DMVS
Director, one in particular that says you have to be in the military,
a farmer, an RV driver or a fire fighter to qualify for a
non-commercial class A or B license. Of course that flies in the face
of 40-5-24(d). That says any resident over the age of 18, not Fire
Fighters alone. Hence the first part of the disagreement I'm having
with the DMVS Director.

The second is what defines RV in Georgia law. There is the article
regarding the IRP that defines RV, but that is a different article.
The article regarding Commercial trucks leaves it un-defined. But the
DMVS Director is interpreting it as motorhome exclusively.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -