Re: [MV] 12 Volt taps on 24 Volt systems

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 17:54:06 PDT

I didn't read that in the article. It seemed they said there were
numerous ways to approach the problem and showed the trade offs of each
way.

I'm not sure of the extent of the modifications to my own truck, which
was done locally and Not by Roscoe, but it has two MV spec batteries
which are connected separately via a knife switch on the cab floor.

http://www.paulathomas.com/images/Main%20Power%20Switch%20%231%201-8-03.jpg

All of the devices I've tried still work save a couple of running
lights. As my batteries are not serial but independent of each other
there's no chance of an imbalance between them. Such an imbalance was
the only thing ( aside from cost of all new gauges, lights etc ) I saw
Roscoe noting as a negative.

        Paul

While everyone seems to have an opinion of why this does/does not hurt
the system, here is a report on an actual study that was conducted on
the problem.

     http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/projects/rec2.pdf

     (Hint....they say it does, eventually!)