Painting...need help with diagnosis of residue.

From: Bill (bill@welovenh.com)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 16:49:16 PDT

Need some help from the painting experts.

I am painting my WC-54 with Gillespee 33070. Using the top of the line
SATA HVLP gun, paint is cut 4-1 with Xylene, shooting pressure is 30psi
(digitally measured by gun at trigger). First coat. Temperature was 84
degrees with humidity about 65%. Air line is well dried for moisture
prior to the gun.

The paint went on great (not much pilot error...runs). However after the
paint began to set, about 6 hours, the horizontal surfaces began to
develope a chalky residue, almost like soot, It was green but very dark
green in color. It was only on the roof and hood and not on the tops of
the front fenders. I did not fool with it at the time. I figured I
would let it set

After letting it sit for 3 days I went out and if you rub it with your
hand you remove the "soot" and it leaves a chalky residue on the paint
base which looks fine. I then took out my carwash broom dry and rubbed
it all over the effected areas. The soft brissles of the broom removed
all the "soot". I then washed the truck with car wash soap and rinsed
and the paint job looks great.

Any idea what this chalky substance is. Am I shooting a too high or low
a pressure. Is the cut wrong. This has never happened to me before and I
am hoping it will not effect the life of the paint.

Bill Wolf

--
..."A good plan executed violently today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite time in the future.  General George S. Patton, Jr."