Halftrack Steering

From: Tom Kelly (tjk2356@webtv.net)
Date: Mon Jun 14 2004 - 11:29:38 PDT

 All WWII American halftracks have a standard truck type, limited-slip
design rear axle that drives the tracks. Just like an ordinary truck,
one track (tire), will turn slower than the other while turning. when
goimg down a road and negotiating curves, it drives like a normal truck.
However, when making 90 degree turns, such as street corners, and
driveways, there is some severe scuffing taking place back at the
tracks, as evidenced by all the skid marks on my driveway when backing
her into her cage.

 On the topic of steering, yes they're hard to turn the wheels when
standing still,but not bad at all while moving. Of course, I'm 6'4", 330
lbs, so your experience may differ.

Tom Kelly
Former M3A1 W/roller, Owner
Current M3A1 W/winch, Restorer.