RE: [MV] Bjorn's recipe for long front tire life (M35)

From: Glenn Shaw (mpmutt@mtaofnj.us)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 09:10:37 PDT

The MAIN thing with these bearings is as you said they should have some
measureable play not zero. They should never be run too tight. I think
we all agree on that. We wouldn't want to burn out a roller bearing on
a long trip due to having it be adjusted too tight. The problem
sometimes with bearing adjusting nut locking systems is sometimes when
you snug it up and then back off it is a little looser that you want.
But if it's a choice between too tight and a little loose go with loose.
I ussually try to use the first locking location when backing off the
nut from the tight position. M151's are famous for ruined bearings from
overzealous tightening. When properly adjusted there is ussually enough
play that you can feel it when shaking the tire, but that's normal. If
you go one more position tighter the bearing can be toasted. By the way
on my 5 deuces I have never got less than 12000 miles on my front tires.
I did watch the toe in and keep an eye on steering components for wear.
The rest of it isnt worth talking about on a deuce in my experience over
35 years with them. But I do enjoy reading all about all these fun
efforts to save on tires and diesel fuel with them. Its part of the the
fun of owning these things I guess.

Glenn

MVPA
MTANJ