Licensing big rigs without a second mortgage

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 05:36:16 PDT

I just found another guy that has a Freightliner tractor with sleeper and a
moving van semi trailer licensed as an RV. This thing is complete with 5th
wheel hitch and both rear axles are in place on the tractor. I even took a
picture of it with the RV plates!

The rig is located in Marion, Indiana and is owned by a drag racer. He
uses the long and spacious van trailer to hold the top fuel type dragster
in the back. He built living quarters in the front of the van trailer. At
first I didn't think anything of the rig, but then I noticed side windows
in the front of the trailer and a large propane tank hanging off the front
of the trailer. It also looks like he somehow attached a refer unit to the
front for a big airconditioner, or else he has a generator stuck in the
front, I'm not sure.

I'm going to try and stop by and talk to him again. The actual owner of
the rig was not there, but I talked to one of the mechanics about the rig.
Apparently licensing was a hassle (big surprise?) but he got it done. I
know some other people on this list have done similar rigs, but I always
thought you had to put a bigger body on the tractor and get rid of the 5th
wheel. Apparently that is not set in stone either!

Dave