RE: [MV] towbar question

From: Wayne Harris (papercu@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 00:18:05 PDT

The bars without the adapters are hard to even give away, it it has one set
anywhere from 50 to 120 on a good day.There is a problem with cracks and/or
complete weld breakthroughs with the military towbar NSN 4910-00-433-7094
and a MWO is out(1993). There is a guy on ebay selling the MWO repair kit
which include 4 steel rings or collars (one on each end of the two legs) the
instructions, two Tempilstik AND a new TM. He starts the kits at two dollars
but he charges extra on the shipping so you might want to asks first. Wayne

>From: "Michael Howell, DO" <michael@tsixroads.com>
>Subject: [MV] toebar question
>Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 23:46:01 -0500
>
>I have a medium tow bar that I left attached to a CUCV I towed home a
>couple of winters ago. Apparently it got water in it and froze. Now it
>has a hairline crack running about a 1/3 of the way up one of the tubes.
>This line is ruler straight and runs length wise. I am guessing that the
>tube was formed from a flat piece of steel and welded and the freezing
>water has separated the weld.
>
>My question is has this ruined the tow bar? Can a qualified welder repair
>it? One would have the take into consideration that heating the metal
>might weaken it. Dose it need to be repaired are is it still strong enough
>to do its job?
>
>I was thinking of taking it to Mobile to the convention and selling it. It
>is otherwise a good condition with some surface rust. How much is it now
>worth? Does anyone want to but it?
>
>Mike
>Tishomingo, MS
>
>still packing for the convention

MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access fights spam and pop-ups – now 3 months FREE!