M35A2 Starter

From: Verne J. Valentine (thebear@seanet.com)
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 08:35:34 PDT

I need some help figuring out a problem with the M35A2 starter.

I had cranked the engine over with the starter for a short time and
everything worked fine. I stopped the cranking and when I attempted to
crank again there is no event. There is only a hum. It sounds like what
you might imagine the sound to be if the batteries are extremely low. I
charged the batteries, cleaned the terminals, and still no result. Is
there a dead spot in the solenoid? In the early GM products there was a
copper washer in the solenoid that would cause a similar problem. That
solution was to take the solenoid apart and turn the washer around.

Does anyone have suggestions or solutions to this problem?

Thanks

Verne Valentine
M35A2
MVPA 20863