Generator/ Electrical/ Battery/ Theory/ Formula ?

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 11:04:00 PDT

This is a bit off topic but definitely related. I have an S-318 shelter with
a 7000BTU window shaker A/C unit installed. In the past I've used my little
MEP-105 1500 watt genset to run theA/C unit. A friend of mine (who is now MIA
here in the states) had a similar A/C unit installed in a sleeper on an over
the road truck. He had a 3000 watt inverter that he used to run the A/C. He also
had 5 groups of 2, golf cart batteries used for storage and to run the A/C at
night. My question is how many of these 6 volt golf cart batteries would it
take to run this A/C through a similar type of inverter for 6 to 8 hours. Next,
what kind of amps and time would it take to recharge them? I've just been
given a 3KW, 28Volt unit unit that says it develops 107 amps. I'm pretty sure
that the generator is underrated. I like the idea of running the A/C at night
without the generator but want some educated opinions on how this might work.
Thanks,
Kenny