Re: [MV] Old M54 question. Front axle shift

From: Bruce Beattie (bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 09:16:57 PDT

Hi to All,
    When I bought my M54A2 from Jim up in WA, he explained in detail
about the mechanisim that controls whether the front drive engages or not.
although I understood it at the time, the details are too fuzy now. The end
result of all this was that if you put a valve in this line and turned it
off, then
theoretically the front drive was disengaged. With the help from a friend
this was done before my long trip back to Berkeley CA. I believe that it
worked,
but since I have not driven it very far without that in place, I can't say
for
sure what the difference is.
    My foggy recollection of this is that the design of the system is such
that if the
air system fails, you don't get a situation where the front drive keeps you
from getting out of a bad spot, therefore the no air scenario essential
disengages
the front drive.
    Bruce MVPA 23824