Re: [MV] CUCV transmission problem

From: International Movie Services (ims@telus.net)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 09:57:08 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "mark baxter" <alleywayguns@bacavalley.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 6:16 AM
Subject: [MV] CUCV transmission problem

> Listers
> IM having troubles with MY M-1009 shifting gears. When I first got the
> truck it seemed that the transmission was shifting fine. Then one day I
> hopped into it to take it for a ride and it would not shift out either low
> or 2nd except after high reving the engine.

Chances are that the vacuum reglator valve body (black plastic thing mounted
to the side of the injector pump) is leaking, or one of the hoses leading to
it is extra crispy and leaking, or the vacuum pump mounted at the back of
the engine sucks in ways unintended by the designer. This vacuum system
controls the shift points of the transmission in the CUCV, and low or no
vacuum in this system means you'll wind the thing up to some godawful RPM
before the transmission sort of 'safety shifts' in a neck-breaking manner
leaving you sounding like you're challenging the car next to you to an
all-out diesel drag race.

Check the hoses leading to the Vaccum Regulator Valve (VRV) on the side of
the injector pump first. For whatever reason, the shorter one leading to
the metal vacuum line fails more than anything else in the system, and I've
had a few that were so rotten they just fell apart when touched - much less
pulled off for testing purposes. If your hoses look good, you'll need to
find yourself a vaccuum guage to see where the fault lies. I think the
vacuum pump is supposed to generate about 22 in/Hg at the line leading to
the VRV, and the output of the VRV is supposed to measure no less than 12
in/Hg. The Haynes Diesel Engine Manual available at most NAPA-type outlets
has the setup procedure for the 6.2 diesel with the vacuum system, but as I
don't have it handy here at work, I'm just going by memory.