[MV] Charging System 12v

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 12:27:43 PDT

Hi Listers:

    I'm having some trouble getting the charging system on my pickup to
work again. I tore out a birds nest of partially striped, short
circuiting, no tape or solder connected etc wiring from under the dash
and hood a few weeks ago, making sure the truck would still run. I
failed to make sure it would still charge.

    The truck was changed over to 12 volt Neg ground many years ago. I
have the original factory assembly and shoppe manuals, however can't be
sure they apply to the way this rig was rewired..

    I'm at a point where I believe it should be working: could anyone
tell me how I can test both the ammeter in the dash as well as the
generator AT the generator? Does the generator require a load of some
kind to properly test it?

    At this point the truck starts and runs fine. At the battery I get
12.6 volts when the truck is off, about 12.3 when the truck is running.
Revving the engine does nothing for the voltage. Removing the negative
battery post clamp kills the engine. No movement of the ammeter at any
time.

    Thanks for your help.

        Paul
        MVPA# 24986