Re: [MV] Deuce carrying capacity

From: Ida Heath (spike@defuniak.com)
Date: Sun Jun 27 2004 - 05:44:00 PDT

Paul,

Just out of curiosity, what country's Army were you in? I entered the U.S.
Army in 1960 and retired in 1982, was in the automotive maintenance field
the entire time, started out carrying a general mechanics tool box and
retired an Automotive Maintenance Technician Chief Warrant Officer and TAMMS
(The Automotive Maintenance Management System) didn't operate quite the way
you described during the time I was in. Up until 1962 when a wheeled or
tracked vehicle needed work performed that wasn't allowed by the
organization in which it was issued and assigned, it was required to send
it to "Ordinance" who would either perform needed repairs and return to user
or accept it for "Turn In" and the unit would requisition a replacement from
the supply system. Beginning in 1962, if memory serves me, "Ordinance" was
changed to "Direct Support" and "General Support" and the same basic
procedure was followed if a vehicle was in need of repair that the
organization was not allowed to do.

The levels of maintenance were/are:

1. Organizational- this includes the operator for operator maintenance and
the mechanic for organizational maintenance.

2. Direct Support- these folks would replace major components and rebuild
some small parts. Defective components would be shipped to General Support
for rebuild or disposal.

3. General Support- these folks would rebuild major components or dispose
of them.

4. Depot- These folks would classify and rebuild those vehicles which were
worthy of rebuild or dispose of them through "Property Disposal" whick today
may be called DRMO.

The above is believed by me to be the way the Army Maintenance System
operates. If any of the above is incorrect I would appreciate being
informed.

Note: There were times and places where a Direct Support unit may be allowed
to repair a component as needed and return to user instead of replacing it
but that was not the norm.

Sonny