Re: [MV] Deuce carrying capacity

From: Ida Heath (spike@defuniak.com)
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 08:27:47 PDT

Good Morning Bruce,

I had absolutely NO intention of attempting to "cut down" Mr. Thomas, none
whatsoever, rather merely pointed out that the way he depicted the
maintenance system was, in my twenty plus years of experience covering every
position from a mechanic to an Automotive Maintenance Technician, not the
way the U.S. Army set up the management of it. I went from the very bottom
to the top and I'am in no way bragging about what I did, rather sharing
facts.

I'am of the opinion that we Historic Military Vehicle Collectors, who may or
may not know, should welcome the opportunity to learn how they were managed
and maintained according to the book as opposed to implanting in our brain
how some Johnny come lately crowd came along and did things the way they
wanted and violated all set rules, heck, how would a mechanic assigned to an
outfit like that feel when he went to another unit and tried to do his job
so he could fit in and get promotions on time? More important, how would a
maintenance manager feel when he walked out in to the shop and saw his new
mechanic with a transmission laying on the floor yet the master cylinder is
leaking and the oil pressure or temperature gage is sitting on zero while
the engine is knocking and steaming out from under the hood? So you see,
thats the reason for having a management system in place so that every
echelon of maintenance does what they are responsible for and nothing more.
While Mr. Thomas and his adored sergeant was replacing engines, illegally
and no doubt unsafely since they didn't have the proper hoists and safety
items, their maintenance wasn't being done and the folks at support
maintenance were wondering why their customers weren't bringing them
anything to work on.

I hope that Mr. Thomas is enjoying our hobby now that he is a civilian again
and he now has every right to canibalize all he wishes to on his own
vehicles but he did not have that right while on active duty. This is my
last post on this thread but if anyone wishes to communicate with me my
email address is sonny@defuniak.com.

Respectfully to all,

Sonny