24 volt Air conditioner stuff

From: GOTaM35 (GOTaM35@joetrapp.com)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 20:06:38 PDT

With the ongoing thread on AC's in the GM's I thought it would be kind of me
to share a tid bit of info I have.

If you want 24 volt AC stuff you can find compressors, clutches, fans and so
forth at large equipment dealers. I installed a 24 volt system in a John
Deere excavator last year. I can't think of the name of the company that
makes the unit, but it was after market and if you find a place to mount the
compressor the unit would fit nicely in a deuce. The evaporator mounts to
the back of the cab. Lots of big trucks use similar 12 volt set ups. The
down side is cost. The parts cost us about $1000 plus my labor. I know how
cheap, I mean frugal we all are. It took me about 15 hours to install and
charge the system. I checked with the dealer of the AC unit at the time,
for future deuce use, and the only difference between these units and the 12
volt compressor was the magnet. So if you have a take out unit from a civy
truck, you may can find the 24 volt magnet.

As for putting a round peg in the square hole, all you need to install any
AC unit in any vehicle is:

Lots of copper and rubber refrigeration tubing.
A box of zip screws
A pile of scrap steel for fabbing brackets
One welding machine
Bucket of bolts
Lots of wire and connectors
One tube of silicone rubber caulking
Two roles of electric tape
One role of duct tape
The whole sha-bang of AC tools (borrow if you don't have, and no I don't
loan mine)

I put AC in my 61 Ford falcon. Ford didn't.
I decided not to air condition my deuce because the amount of heat produced
by the floor would be impossible to overcome without installing a unit as
big as the passengers seat. Of course the 110 volt unit in the back worked
OK for the convoy this year :-)

Joe Trapp