Re: [MV] Hull compass question

From: Jonathan Boos (acfarer@cox.net)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 21:52:03 PDT

David,
Eugene is on the money with the directions for disassembly. I would caution
you that the "cap" fro the jar is very thin brass and is usually cracked and
or split. Reassembly with a split cap will often result in leaking oil
again. Also, remocing the cap, if not done carefully will damage the cap or
the stem that holds the compass card, (indicator) in place. The gasket
itself is easy enough to cut yourself. The oil however is another story.
Exxon Isopar is the oil used in compasses nowdays. Years ago the common oil
was Varsol but they have gone away from that in the 50s. Isopar is available
from any reputable nautical supply house that does work on navigational
instruments and compasses. I have a quart of it if you can't find any. I
will send you enough to refill the Hull. Good luck.
Regards,
Jonathan