RE: [MV] M1009 Question

From: Ziptar[MV (mil-veh@ziptar.com)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 04:18:07 PDT

You can Put A/C in anything is you work hard enough at it and spend enough
money.

Now Here is the Rub..

When it comes to swapping a 6.5l TD into the 73-87 C&K Series Trucks, The
turbo and exhaust manifold won't clear the A/C Box on the Cab. At least
that's what I have seen guys run into on the diesel page, diesel stop, turbo
diesel register. The TD register has a lengthy conversion discussion area in
their forums. Might be worth pawing through.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/

If you really want A/C and a Turbo Diesel.. You might want to think about a
Cummins Conversion. Get yourself an old Frito-Lay Chevy P30 Stepvan with a
Cummins 4cyl 4BT3.9 or a 4BTA3.9. The Frito vans had their 6.2 swapped to
the Cummins back in the early 80's. That would basically be a "Bolt-in" for
your M1009, if you get one from a truck that has a TH400 installed even
better. You'd have the complete motor, mounts, GM bell housing, flywheel,
etc.

To convert you can either buy a whole truck. I have seen them for
$3900-$5900 or you can get a complete motor/frame cut at places like
Adelman's Truck Parts Cleveland OH, Neosho Truck Parts in Neosho WI, The
Diesel Depot (Avant Salvage) Sandersville, GA, and of course ebay. I have
seen complete engines go for $2650-$4500.

Don't let the 4cyl fool you either, the 4BT3.9 is rated at 107HP stock, the
4BTA3.9 is somewhere around 130. The Marine versions of the 4cyl B-Series
are rated up to 250HP. I know I have seen where rock crawlers have swapped
the stock turbo for a HY35W 9cm Turbos. Intercooling, injection pump
tweaking and get up around 200HP. All while getting 25-30 miles per gallon
while doing 70MPH on the highway.