Re: [MV] Moving swiftly back to military vehicles

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Jul 05 2004 - 00:25:43 PDT

>A pretty rare vehicle has just been advertised on www.milweb.net in the
>Armour and tracked section - an LTV4 - particularly rare in Europe, made
>me
>think -I am curious to know how many exist in private hands these days -
>maybe 6 or so ?

I wish the seller listed a price and displayed a few pics. I'm curious
what he feels it is worth. Especially because it will probably be years
before we see another one advertised. Armored vehicles this rare tend to
get passed along without public attention and participation. If anybody
gets a price on this vehicle, I'm sure many here would be interested in
hearing it.

>What was the post war Civvy use for these? Or were they just broken up for
>the engines?

IIRC not many were made and most that survived the war probably didn't
come back from the PTO. The US wasn't all that keen on moving stuff back
to domestic bases. That right there is enough to knock the number
available to collectors down to a handful.

I stood next to one of these beauties and boy... it is one surprisingly
big vehicle! I never realized how tall it is. Not very practical for
someone with a standard height garage :-)

Steve