Re: [MV] M2 Machinegun (was Deuce Bumper Numbers)

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 08:52:19 PDT

As many of you fellows know, weapons tend to be well outside of whatever area of "expertise" I may have. However, I recall reading "Marine Sniper", the true experience of Carlos Hathcock (and a great read too), a fellow who is recognized as the finest sniper of the all. Sadly, many of his real-life exploits have worked their way into Hollywood movies.....Hollywood has so many exagerations and ubsurdities that many think his truth is more fiction (like shooting another sniper through the other sniper's scope).

Anyhow, the opening scene of the book has Carlos Sniping with a basically stock...but well maintained M2 Heavy Barrel machine gun. In this scene he deliberately shoots the front fork of a moving bicycle with one round. I don't recall the exact range...something like a half a mile away.

Satisfied me as to the accuracy of Ma Deuce....and the gunner.

Dispersion is a factor when firing any automatic weapon, and the more limber the mount, the less accurate the fire. Counter to Hollywood, APG test should it was almost impossible to hit anything with a MG from a moving vehicle. Not a reflection on the gun or gunner...but on the mount.

Regards,
David Doyle