Re: [MV] Aaron's M38A1 Started!!!

From: Buzz (buzz@softcom.net)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 09:39:02 PDT

Hi Aaron,

I had a similar problem with the starter on my M38A1. I removed the battery switch on the starter
then cleaned the contacts. After reassembly I adjusted the switch actuator screw toward the switch
so that the switch would make better contact.
Forward motion of the starter lever is stopped by the engagement of the starter gear, so the switch
actuator will have to be adjusted as the contacts burn down.

As for the oil pressure..... temporally install a mechanical gauge to see what the pressure really
is.

A high temperature problem could be caused by a bad thermostat. Remove the thermostat and place it
in a pan of boiling water. It should open completely in a few seconds.

Many years ago I was trying to cool a Ford station wagon used to haul a travel trailer. The first
thing that I did was have the radiator cleaned and I installed a new 165 degree thermostat. No
change. I had a larger radiator core installed. No change. I installed a transmission cooler from
a truck. No change. My dad suggested the thermostat test. Yep, the thermostat only opened half
the way. I bought a new thermostat then tested that one which fully opened. After installation of
a good thermostat there was no way that I could overheat that engine.
To this day I test every thermostat.... new or used.

GL,

Buzz

>So know I have a few questions:
>
>1) The jeep cranks over very slowly, but I'm told that this is normal operation for 24V systems? To
me it sounds like a 12V starter spinning right before the battery dies. I was cleaning grounds and
making sure all the components have good clean connections, but it didn't speed up the cranking.

>2) The oil pressure shot right up to 55 on the gauge. What are the normal operational parameters
for oil pressure on an M38A1? ...This is my first vehicle with an oil pressure gauge! If it's too
high, what could be the problem/solution?

>3) I'm worried that she might be running too hot. Possibly this is due to the carburetor? The last
civilian part in my jeep is the carb, which I should have replaced with a military one within the
next couple of months.