Re: [MV] M2 Machinegun (was Deuce Bumper Numbers)

From: J Travis (dagobert@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 10:27:07 PDT

Ah, now THIS subject I have some first hand experience with, as I used
to work at Barrett in Murfreesboro. They actually make a number of
different models, although they are best known for their semi-auto
sniper version. It is indeed a heavy and well built beast, in fact my
running joke there was that it was the Ultimate Tennessee Squirrel Gun.
Just pick your chosen squirrel, line up the sights, and shoot the tree
out from under him, so he falls and breaks his little neck when he
lands. But before you get too fond of Mr' Barrett's rifles, let me tell
you WHY I left there. At the time, my only transportation was an old
1979 Dodge Ramcharger that happened to be painted Olive Drab (not by me;
I bought it that way) and I had a number of pro-second amendment bumper
stickers on the back of it. Well, I go into work one morning, and the
floor supervisor pulls me aside and tells me that I am "not allowed" to
drive that "Army truck" to work any more, and when I ask him why not, he
tells me it's because Mr. Barrett is afraid that some journalist might
happen to drive by and see it, and be offended at the truck and the
bumper stickers. When I pointed out that those same stickers were in
support of his being able to have his business in the first place, and
that the truck was a Ramcharger, not a Blazer, and was never a military
vehicle in the first place, he mumbled something about how that didn't
matter and I'd better get rid of it if I wanted to keep my job. After
that, I cordially invitied him to go parkerize the accursed things
himself, and walked out the door. So the point is, Mr. Barrett has
proven to me by example that he is no friend of those who are interested
in private ownership of military vehicles, and he seems to not be too
fond of the right of individuals to speak out about their right to keep
and bear arms either, unless he's making a fortune off a government
contract in the process. It's a good weapon, and I learned how to
parkerize weapons there, but in all, I still wouldn't support the man's
business after the experience I had there, on principle.

Jay Travis