RE: [MV] M2 Machinegun (was Deuce Bumper Numbers)

From: Lee Franklin (lee@wellnesshealth.com)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 10:51:59 PDT

At 11:42 AM -0500 7/6/04, Ryan Gill wrote:

>I've seen mention of it in US circles and I know the RAF used them
>for Airfield EOD removal. They even built some Saracen APCs with rear
>mounted Turrets with armored glass and provisions for a light 50 to
>be mounted. The whole thing was set up with lights and a large raised
>cupola for looking out on a runway and clearing it of Area Denial
>Munitions.

Well, I am talking about US Army EOD.. but I somehow don't doubt it
is a tool in their arsenal now.

>>True, but with the application I have seen, that is rarely an issue..
>>and who wants to walk around with a rifle on ground that has been
>>pounded by artillery for over a century?

>One could say the same thing about a M2, the T&E gear, the tripod and
>the ammo can. Or mortars in the man portable role.

No.. they use a 113, load once and sit all day from a good vantage point.
EOD is a 24-hour duty at the Graffenwohr range when they are firing.
There are plenty of somewhat safe FO positions available for EOD to
overlook the impact zone.

-Lee