M2 Machinegun (was Deuce Bumper Numbers)

From: bolton8@juno.com
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 20:47:05 PDT

I too have read the book about Mr. Hathcock, he did NOT modify the 50 in
regards to making it non automatic, I understand his skill was at such a
level that he could fire only one round at a time.
        Back when I was a Special Forces Weapons Instructor I had the honor of
introducing quite a few men to Ma-Duece. And yes, she does have a
selector lever for semi or full automatic fire. Between the butterfly
trigger is a lever called a 'bolt latch'. When this latch is pressed
down and locked the weapon fires semi automatic. Unlocked, and in it's
normal raised position the weapon fires full auto.

        Even though the M2 HB has a bolt latch, I would never question the
validity of Mr. Hathcock's skill at firing one round at a time while in
the full auto mode. It was rather common for Marine's on the DMZ to
mount 10 to 20 power optics on the M2 and snipe one mile into North
Vietnam.

LANCE