Re: [MV] M-1009 flex plate problems

From: Glenn Shaw (mpmutt@mtaofnj.us)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 06:45:41 PDT

Hi Derek
Those flex plates typically last the life of the vehicle. The only
reason most of them are changed is due to the ring gear being stripped.
You should be sure that it was installed correctly, and that the
transmission bellhousing is fully seated to the engine block all
around. A problem happens if the transmission hangs up on the dowls or
has some material lodged under the seating edge when it is bolted up.
If it is not seated exactly right there will be a mis-alignment that
will flex and fatigue the steel flex plate with every revolution,
causing it to crack and fail quickly.

Glenn
M1009