M211 questions

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 07:09:26 PDT

List,
    My father and I recently looked at an M211. It had been sitting for several years prior to being started and moved around by the current owner. The engine runs, but the transmission will not shift out of first gear (it goes into reverse, but won't shift up in forward). Could this be a matter of a "gummed" up valve, etc... Does the transmission need air pressure to shift? I don't believe it is building air pressure. I think all of the belts were there, but do these air pumps "break" easily. It could be a rusted line, or open valve, but I did not hear air escaping anywhere.

    Any thoughts/help on what to look for when purchasing one of these trucks would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
        --Neil

1987 Chevrolet M1028A3 CUCV
1968 Baifield Corp M274A5 Mule