Re: [MV] [Politics] Election just a formality ?? +British HMVs

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 16:28:26 PDT

At 3:30 PM -0700 7/8/04, Horrocks, Aaron wrote:
>According to the TV, the rest of the world is
>interested in US politics... even protests them!
>
>Anyhow, talking about HMVs: in the back of
>Military Vehicles magazine, some ferrets are
>selling for a mere $8,000~12,000!!! These
>British vehicles are

Cheapest wheeled armor to be had around.

>pretty temping to pick up. If I don't get one
>myself, it's very likely that someone else in
>the Cimmerians (a milsim airsoft group that I
>belong to) could purchase one. In the group,
>it's been a trend (or "fad") to impersonate the
>British. Honorably, mind you. Many of us,
>including myself, have spent a great deal of
>money for DPM uniforms & gear to get the
>impression down.

I've shown up to Dragon Con in DPM with my
Ferret. I was representative of the scale model
and historic Miniatures crowd.
http://www.dragoncon.org/photos03/parade/image_html/parade097.html

>Just this January we did a Falkland's War
>reenactment on a cold wet island. We really
>could have used some real Brit HMVs! Event
>picture galleries:

Scorpions and helos would be the only thing to
need. Easy to do though. British DPM is available
w/ P58 web gear. FN Fals aren't too bad. The
argies need mostly US type kit and M14's iirc.

>http://www.cimmerians.org/DT3.html
>Me enjoying a pint of Boddington's:
>http://www.cimmerians.org/images/dt23jan04camp009.jpg
>
>Are there any references out there to explain
>the differences between the various versions of
>ferrets?
>Were any used in the Falkland's War?

The Argie's had some Eland Armored cars that were
restricted to the roads. The Brits wisely brought
some Scorpions (low ground pressure and able to
cross the boggy ground). I think they may have
had some of the hagglunds BV206 snowcats...but
I'm not sure. Nigel will clarify I'm sure...:-)

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)