Re: [MV] Off Topic (M151?)

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 22:48:53 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Buzz" <buzz@softcom.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 9:32 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Off Topic (M151?)

> I've towed one MUTT with another 30 miles round trip and haven't had a
problem. I use a medium
> strength bungee cord on the steering wheel. I did notice that the towing
jeep could use 2 more
> cylinders. It tows great behind the Ford 250 with the 420.
>
> Buzz

I've towed them quite a bit too, and I echo the bungee cord statement
wholeheartedly. The only problem thus far was when I was towing a disabled
one behind a deuce tearing through the mountains, and I couldn't figure out
why people passing me were pointing at the deuce's rear-end with expressions
on their faces like bad extras in some horror flick. I pulled over after
about half an hour of that stuff to find that the rear pass. side tire on
the 151 had grenaded, and the thing must've been taking turns swaying left
and right just out of the capture range of my mirrors and making a nice
rim-sized wandering furrow in one of Washington's finest roadways. Oops.

The other thing (and it's been covered here before) is that some people
habitually remove the rear driveshaft before towing any 4wd vehicle any
great distance. Don't do that on the M151. The only thing holding the
output coupling to the output shaft of the transfer case is the presence of
the driveshaft itself (front and rear), so if you remove the driveshaft,
you'll soon be following several miles of oil slick back to that spot in the
road where the output coupling fell off. Been there, done that. I guess
you could remove both shafts and wire the couplings in place for the
duration of the tow, but...I really haven't seen anything during or after
towing to indicate that sort of operation would be necessary.

I've towed them around town quite a bit (60 mi. plus) with CUCV vehicles to
and from film sets and stuff and have never had a problem that wasn't
related to forgetting to pack a bungee cord. <shrug> Other mileage may
vary, of course - as always.