M-60 Serial numbers / Hull Numbers

From: Robert Buettner (ww2reenactor@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 12:06:02 PDT

Hello List-

While trying to compile a listing of all known war
memorials in the state of Wisconsin I am running
across many M-60 variants (ok, mostly M60A3s). What I
am trying to figure out is if there is a serial number
or hull number somewhere on the outside of the M-60
series of tanks. This information would help me and
any other person interested in M60 series tanks.

I have found some numbers cast and or "stick welded"
onto the back of the tank, under the fined doors.
These numbers do not seem to corespond to ohters that
I have found and I am seriously confused. Can some
old motorpool guy help me out? I asked one of the
guys on the Fire Department that used to serve as a TC
on the M60's and he said they never used a serial or
hull number on the tanks. Any truth in that?

Anyways, you can see the beginnings of my site here:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~shannaandrobert/
Hopefully sometime I will move it to a commercial site
with its own domain and some snazzy graphics.

Robert Buettner
Appleton, WI