Re: [MV] CUCV Thermostat

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Jul 17 2004 - 06:17:44 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Burke" <julian@knology.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2004 3:43 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] CUCV Thermostat

> You sure can!! There is NO exotic thermostat here. You want a 185 degree
> unit. Remember that it is a civilian at heart and over 55% of all its'
> parts can be obtained from a Chevy dealer or parts store. Julian Burke

I haven't personally had a lot of luck with used radiators, so I don't
bother anymore figuring that the 100 bucks I save on a used rad will sound
pretty anemic when I'm looking at replacing my broiled THM400. It's just
not worth it. Also, others mileage may vary, but every CUCV or 6.2 equipped
vehicle the film company has acquired from GL or GSA has had a screwed
radiator. Every single one. We've had two overheat transmission failures
because we didn't realize the rads were pooched, and in both cases, the
engine never gave any indication of overheat, nor did the idiot light come
on (and yes, I checked the bulbs and senders.) To me it's worth the peace
of mind to get a new rad or a good recore because spending the extra hundred
bucks or so will save you that helpless feeling as you're climbing some
mountain road in the middle of summer wondering why your top gear is sort of
Neutral with delusions of grandeur. Also, if you're going to drive it a
lot - put in an additional transmission cooler mounted grille-side of the
existing rad. Some come with plastic mounting strips you push through the
vehicle's radiator core to 'piggyback' the cooler, but use those at your own
peril as the Chevy rad cores won't support that kind of cooler/fluid weight
for long, and will soon spring a nasty leak. Had that too.