strange engine noises solved

From: Patrick J JANKOWIAK (patrick.jankowiak@st.com)
Date: Mon Jul 19 2004 - 08:47:02 PDT

Well..

It was...

not the head gasket,

not the valvetrain,

not a bad injector,

not the throwout bearing,

but, drum roll..

it was the right fender vibrating against the body (under the fender
where it attaches with 3 large bolts) and the exhaust pipe, which it is
also attached to, and also transferring some of this energy to the right
side engine compartment cover, which on my truck, the hole touches the
intake mushroom. all this junque was vibrating together.

Using an oscilloscope and a stethoscope made from an old speaker and
some tubing, I probed around for the exact noise, then pressed on the
fender at certain places, damping out the vibrations. This noise was
very deceiving since it appeared to come from the floorboard and engine
compartment and was cyclic with the rpm and changed volume with the
throttle load. The harder the engine vibrated, the louder the squeaking.

so, I am a happy man. no troubles.

--
Patrick Jankowiak
Field Application Engineer III