Clattering noise M35

From: R F (rfougnier@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Jul 19 2004 - 19:28:03 PDT

Ok, that does it. What could a clattering noise be that starts at
around 40 mph? It seems to be near the transfer case. Maybe it's only
a u-joint or something simple? I now hear it even at lower speeds, but
not as strong. What is strange is that it does not matter if there's a
load on it or not, so coasting, clutch in, engine motoring, or on the
throttle, doesn't make ANY difference. Given the location of the noise,
I would suspect the t-case, but you would think it would change pitch
with load, or when the front end is engaged, but no difference. I do
not hear it in low range, but have not gone fast enough to hear it in
low range either. I would also think a u-joint would change sounds with
loads too.

I'm hoping that someone has heard this kind of thing before and can ID
it for me before I start tearing drive shafts out.

The speedo doesn't work. Could it be a bad gear in the speedo housing
down at the transfer case?

Thanks in advance,
Ray in Detroit