Re: [MV] CANIBALS

From: Douglas Greville (dgrev@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sat Jul 24 2004 - 03:21:39 PDT

Patrick

> well..
>
> I found a skot 8x8 (OT-64?) wheeled APC on the site for 15K euro. Hmm..
> considering the price of a similar-sized Stryker, or even a smaller
> V-100's nowadays.. I want it badly. But, don't know much about it. Other
> than it is big, green, and armored. I wonder if such a thing would be
> fun to drive on the highway or around town like the Deuce is?

I take it this is the BTR-60 partial clone?

If so, check 2 things for legality of road usage:

1) Legality of width. This is normally 2.8m in most countries, over
that and you strike problems. I believe the SKOT and BTR 60/70/80 are
much wider.

2) That I know of, only the BTR-80 allows the driver to operate with
his head out of the hatch. The others need a combination of a Gorilla
and a Giraffe to do so. Thus, driver vision is EXTREMELY limited to
just a forward hatch hole, side vision is nil and even with an
observer/commander your legal position would be pretty poor for
liability after you had a crash.
You may get it registered for road use somehow, but a post
crash investigation would get ugly.
I wouldn't try the "drive it whilst standing on the seat and using
a broom to push the throttle, brake and clutch trick" either, it
wouldn't look too good in court ......

Regards
Doug