Re: [MV] Fw: The smell of old Diesel

From: Mel Miller (nourmahal@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jul 25 2004 - 17:49:34 PDT

Howdy Vernon,

Diesel is a volatile organic compound and will evaporate just as
gasoline will, but more slowly.

RVP is a measure of fuel volatility used in the Petroleum industry, It
is determined by submerging a fuel sample, in a sealed container with a
pressure gauge, in a 100F degree water bath. Its level is read in PSI.

The Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) of most gasoline is 9.0, some low
volatility gasolines in the South achieve a RVP of 7.8. California
currently mandates an RVP of 6.9. Diesel fuel, in its most common
version has an RVP of 0.4.

Personally, I do not know what dried out diesel fuel residue smells
like, but it definitely will evaporate in a vented fuel system over a
long time.

Regards,
Mel Miller
Corpus Christi, TX
361-937-3317
M725
M884
M886
86 VW Doppelkabin Drop Side Diesel PU (OD)