Convoy train spotted with 200 MV's, Boulder CO

From: Robert Ternes (racecadet@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 09:31:51 PDT

Howdy list,

I have to relate a fantastic experience I had on
Saturday here in lovely (though lately rainy) Boulder
CO. The convoy train passed through town, and I
finally had the good fortune to catch it this time!
I've been told by friends of instances of a train
loaded up with railcar after railcar of MV's passing
through town (always with a "You would have loved it"
tacked on), and I finally caught it.

I sped past it in my Grand Cherokee, and then,
realizing there was a crossing a few miles up, took a
left off the highway onto a road crossing the tracks,
straight up to the blinking arms of a crossing just as
the train started to go by.

We're talking 100 or so HMMWV's of all configurations
(alot of ambulance bodies), followed by a few deuces,
then some more hummers, some dozers, a few of the
newer deuces with a CTIS system (and it looked to be
the newer style axles, based on pumpkin style, these
must be the A3's? ), some CUCV's, a newer IFS chevy
"CUCV" that looked like a lost Forest Service truck
among the big daddies, some of the Mog lookalikes
(Portal axled things), some refueler dueces, some
bowed-back deuces towing trailers, and to top it off,
a few 8x8's on the back-most flatcars (some with what
looked to be powered trailers!).

In all, I saw about 200 milvehs all at once, most of
which looked to be more "supply train" or
support-oriented. It was total overload for a truck
lover such as myself. The capper is that there was a
HEMTT driving up and down route 119 between Boulder
and Longmont. drool. There's something about those
16r20 Michelin XL's (I have a set of 5 for my project
truck, I just gotta mill down my mystery donor detroit
locker a little to fit in the front axle carrier and
then I can mount em up!). :)

Anyone know what this train is all about? Pantano, are
these guys heading to the Springs?

Cheers
Bob Ternes
1968 M35a2, Cat 3208 on the way