Duece Power Question

From: Mike Maynard (mike@wesleyscott.com)
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 10:22:26 PDT

So our local tractor show was this weekend, and I decided to take my TD6
bulldozer to it (it's a 1948 or so). I got my tri-axle 9-ton trailer
out, and hooked it up to the deuce. With the trailer empty, I noticed a
severe lack in power.... Trailer weighs in somewhere around 5k. put the
dozer on it, weighing in at about 12k, and the poor deuce really didn't
wanna move it too well. Now I used to tow this same setup with my 84
3/4 Chevy... and I almost think that the Chevy did a better job, both
getting going, and stopping the load. Would this be considered normal?
I have noticed a similar lack of power towing an M105 behind it empty.
When the truck is empty it seems fine, but then again, I haven't driven
another one, so its hard to know just how its supposed to be. It does
make me wonder if the crushed fuel line might be causing it.

I guess what I am wondering is how should a deuce handle extra weight,
should it do better than what I am describing? I would think that one
shouldn't notice an empty M105 behind the deuce too much...

Mike

PS 1970 M35A2 with LDT-1C (turbo added by me)