More Deuce Power...

From: Mike Maynard (mike@wesleyscott.com)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 19:36:37 PDT

Well tonight, I fixed the squished fuel line on my deuce. I had way too
high of an expectation of how much it mattered.... It seems after the
fix, it might possibly even be worse!! I am very disappointed, and
almost wish I hadn't done it. I did notice though that it does seem to
achieve higher RPMs now.... as if at high rpm there wasn't enough
fuel... so maybe it was a good move. Is there such a thing as too much
fuel? (aside from too hot on the pyrometer) Is it possible that the
theorized extra fuel could be causing it to 'dog' down some? (I am
seriously doubting this theory too... just thinking out loud... :-) )

In the end... I am still thinking of turning up the pump. I was
wondering if there is a TM that covers the pump in depth enough to be
useful to the mechanic. Or does someone have pics of what needs to be
done? Once its set, do I have to worry about the boost pressure? Or is
a pyrometer good enough for daily monitoring during driving? (already
have the pyrometer installed) Also just how high do I want to set it?
Do I want to set it so there is absolutely no chance of it ever getting
too hot? Or is common practice to set it so the majority of driving
keeps it safe, but under extreme heavy load, the gauge needs close
attention? Basically I am looking to get some more power for climbing
hills, and pulling my trailer with the dozer. I don't really care about
top speed that much, as most my driving with it doesn't really matter.

Enough rambling for now....
Mike