Re: [MV] M35 leaking head gasket

From: mkmvpa@juno.com
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 18:30:24 PDT

I drove 105 miles with a blown head gasket in my deuce 2 weeks ago. I knew mine was leaking excessivly from the rear head at the back of the block, and knew it would need to be replaced soon. A telltale sign indicated the failure much earlier than it had occured, I started hearing a ticking sound that sound like misadjusted rocker arms some months ago and determined later it was the venting of combustion gases out the back of the block. In short after I returned from my trip and did a once over of the truck I noticed an object laying on the bellhousing between the engine and firewall, I picked it up and it was the entire head gasket that spanned the aft 2 bolts in the head along with a generous amount of oil. I never leaked any antifreeze and suffered little if any ill effects from the blown gasket, no lack in power or anything. I repeatedly had to slow down in fact as the deuce would exceed 58MPH with no effort. I would have your head atleast retorqued as soon as possible a 22 to 1 compression ratio will s
eperate a head from the block over time regardless the torque. I doubt with an 89 motor you will need a new gasket at this time.

Bob
American General M35A2C LDT-465-1D