A train load of M1's spotted in KC KS

From: Witold Grzymala-Busse (wbusse@filterlogix.com)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 07:02:24 PDT

Several weeks ago I saw a train load of M1's at a rail yard in Kansas City.
There were about 200 of them or theoretically a whole armored division?.
The sight was amazing. I was so impressed that next day I went back and
took several pictures of them. (Film not yet developed). The tanks were on
a siding and a railroad police crew was guarding them the whole time.
However, they were not doing a very good job and if anyone wanted access to
them I am sure security could have been compromised. Upon closer look, here
are some of my thought about these tanks.
1. All were painted desert tan, I assume that they came back from Iraq.
2. Another reason that I assume that they came back from Iraq was that many
if not most had battle damage. One of the tanks was burned up on one side,
I think its suspension collapsed and it was missing its tracks. Another
tank had its ammo blow-out panels blasted off! - or so it appeared from
where I looked. Directly under the bridge were I was standing, I saw a tank
hit by some sort of an RPG in the skirt. I do not know if the round punched
through.
3. I think these tanks were going to an overhaul facility since most were
damaged, the vast majority had suspension problems i.e the tanks sagged
forward, about 20-30% were missing one or more road wheels, some had blast
damage, others were missing side skirts. Most had very rough paint jobs..
4. After a careful analysis of the situation, I do not think the M1 is as
invulnerable as some says. Sure its a good tank, but after taking a good
look at these tanks, the M1 can and is damaged in battle.

WGB

P.S. So where does the M1 get overhauled?