RE: [MV] 90 years ago today

From: Adams-Graf, John (grafj@krause.com)
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 06:01:32 PDT

Nige...Hate to contradict an ally in the plight. Though German troops DID invade Belgium on the 4th, and Great Britain and France did respond with declarations of war, the broadly accepted "beginning of Great War" didn't involve any of those nation. Rather, Austria's declaration of war on Serbia on July 28, 1914, is the date most historians ascribe as the "beginning of the Great War ("European War," "War to End all Wars," "World War I"...whichever vernacular you choose, it's all the same war!).

See NY Times, July 28, 1914:
http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/big/0728.html#article

>From the grand nephew of a Belgian national in the US Army gassed in France...
John A-G