Re: [MV] Paint remover for HMMWV soft tops.

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 10:10:35 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Darrell Ramsell" <daram@comcast.net>
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2004 11:15 PM
Subject: [MV] Paint remover for HMMWV soft tops.

> Gents
>
> What's the best solvent to use to remove paint on HMMWV soft doors? Just
> plain old paint thinnner, acitone and so on?

Overspray, you mean? Try something gentle like cutwax/rubbing compound and
a lot of elbow grease before any of the harsher choices out there. I've
used toluene/enamel reducer/lacquer thinner to 'clean up' tarps in the past
when there was no other choice, but it's really, really hard on the vinyl.
If you're bound and determined to use something like that, try it out on a
scrap bit of oversprayed vinyl or an old vinyl door or tarp first. I
wouldn't leave the rag too long in any one spot either, or guesses are it'll
be much like the iron left too long in one spot on the ironing board. Not
pretty.