Re: [MV] (MV) M62 wrecker

From: tedhils@cyber-south.com
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 07:44:58 PDT

Sonny-
    I have one of the 800 series tractor wreckers (one of MANY future
projects) if you want to come up and check it out.
    You can stop at the "cheap" parts stores while you are here. HA!! I
got news for you. There aint any sitch animal as a "cheap" parts store when
it comes to trucks parts. We do a lot of calling around to compare prices
when we need something, and there isn't much difference in any of them. I'm
sure their prices are better than in DeFuniak Springs, but probably not by a
lot.
Ted

Ted Hils
Ted's Trucks 'N Stuff
1181 County Road 560
Midland City, AL 36350
334-983-1092
Mon - Fri 8 -5 Central Time

http://www.stores.ebay.com/tedstrucksnstuff

> Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 13:19:46 -0400
> From: Movnmanj1@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [MV] (MV) M62 wrecker
>
> Sonny,
> The wrecker with the fifth wheel is classified as a "Tractor wrecker"
which is the M246 (602 Continental gas) and the M819 (250 Cummins), and the
M62,M543, M816 and the M939 series(M number fails me at the moment) are
classified as a "Medium Wrecker" . Interestingly enough, both of the
tractor wreckers have the Austin-Western single cylinder crane. But, it is
a little longer than the M62 AW crane and also has a second stage (manual)
which adds to the reach. Also, the tractor wreckers have an enclosed cab,
the medium wreckers have an open "gondola", however, I believe there was a
canvas and bow kit for it. The tractor wreckers, I have been told, were
primarily for recovering downed aircraft and such. Hence the extra length
on the boom and the fifth wheel for pulling a long lowboy trailer. Anyone
with additional info?