Disel 6.5L engine problems

From: Darrell Ramsell (daram@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 17:49:02 PDT

Gents

I have a HMMWV M-1044 with a 6.5L Diesel engine. I've been having some
sporadic problems with minor loss in engine power. Some days the engine
runs just fine and I can actually go up a hill and hold the speed at 55mph.
Other days it seems like it's struggling a little. I can still get it up to
55mph on a flat surface but speed drops on a hill climb. On a good day the
exhaust seems to be clear but on a bad day it blows out some white smoke
mostly at high RPMs. When white smoke increases power drop becomes more
noticeable.

Now I bought the vehicle two months ago. The previous owner put a new
engine that only had 800 miles on it when I bought it. I took it on a 500
mile round trip two weeks later. It ran just fine on the way out but on the
way back is when I began to have troubles.

First thing I did I changed the fuel filter and it was covered with crap
that looked like little rust flakes. MY assumption is that these rust
flakes came from the previous engine. (The previous owner had told that the
original engine was in bad shape which is why he replaced it). The new fuel
filter help a little but not much. I just check fuel filter today after
putting 1,000 on it and the filter looks very clean. During that time I've
ran almost every tank of gas with diesel fuel cleaner/ water remover. I've
also been periodically draining fuel from the fuel filter well and there has
been very little sign of rust flakes or water. Despite all this my problem
persist.

My assumption now is that I have some sediment in the fuel injector pump or
the injectors themselves and occasionally restricting fuel flow. My other
assumption it that my fuel injector is going bad.

Since I'm not much of a engine mechanic, I'd very much appreciate if you can
help me trouble shoot this problem and let me know if my assumption are
correct or if it's something completely different. Any advice will be
helpful.

Thanks

Darrell