Budd wheel question

From: Steve & Jeannie Keith (cckw@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 15:42:49 PDT

I had an interesting find today.

My 44 Chev Bomb Truck had developed a shimmy after I installed
some older wheels and tires. It had developed a clicking like a FWD
car with a bad cv joint. After I removed the wheel, I found a piece
of the lock had broken off and was up against the outer bearing. I
throughly washed and inspected the bearings and races and found
no damage. After I reassembled the unit, the shimmy was worse. I
reinspected the bearings, checked the knuckle and tie rod end etc.

When I installed the wheel, I was using the inner (M/F) nuts with outer
nuts jammed on them. It was then as I was tightening up the nuts
with my impact wrench, one of the M/F nuts went thru the wheel!
I replaced the M/F nuts with front only Budd nuts. The shimmy went
away.

My question is this: It is OK to use the M/F Budd nuts on the front
isin't it? If it went thru the wheel, it could do it on the back too. I
assume that the wheel is defective/worn out, but I have never seen this
before.

Comments?

Steve AKA Dr Deuce (with 150+ Budd wheels)