Re: [MV] Importing U.S. vehicles from Europe - Clarifcation

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 00:24:52 PDT

Just reread my post and found one thing that could be misleading:

>To sum up... if you wish to import vehicles which are armored (Sherman,
>Ferret, etc.), unarmored but specialized in certain ways (like bridge
>layers), unarmored but designed around a weapons mount (M110, etc),
>unarmored but designed to recover military vehicles (various heavy tow
>trucks), or unarmored but amphibious (DUKW, Stalwart, etc.) you need to
>get special permission from BATF. Specifically, a Form 6 which can be
>found here:
>
><http://www.atf.gov/firearms/form6nia/index.htm>
>
>Doesn't matter what the country of manufacture or origin is. That is the
>law folks.

What I mean by this is that you need the Form 6 no matter what country
the vehicle is from. HOWEVER, the Form 6 does not trump the restrictions
of Lend Lease. In other words, you can not import anything US made,
whether it is SME or not, if it is not properly cleared by the State
Department first under the provisions of Lend Lease. The latter can
happen as a result of a government to government negotiation (as I
presume Norway's big surplus action in the 1980s was) or apparently an
individual having enough money/connections to secure himself a personal
arrangement (then apply for a Form 6 if need be).

At least that is how I understand it works.

Steve