RE: [MV] Cigarette lighter/power port hook up.

From: Horrocks, Aaron (ACHb@pge.com)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 13:09:48 PDT

First off, which vehicle are you referring to?
Secondly, I didn't know military vehicles had fuses! At least the older M-series ones I've seen don't. Having a system draw too much current and popping a fuse could prove to be a major problem in a combat situation.

It reminds me of being back at battlebots and seeing robots with components fused. I had to talk to the guys on the spot. Not only to talk about their process for sizing adequate fuses, but also to ask, WHY!?! Would you rather burn up a motor or speed control, and perhaps make it through the entire fight, or would you rather have the robot shut down and allow your competitor to further damage it?
I guess the stakes are higher if you're being shot at!

I can only answer your question coming from the civilian vehicle world. Connect it to the accessories. I've seen some CJ5 owners hard tap lighter/power hookups right to the battery, once in a while they fuse this tap, certainly a good thing to do incase it shorts out.

Aaron Horrocks
1952 M38A1
1986 G.P. Medium