Re: M-416 trailers and CUCVs

From: Brian Placzankis (plaz@mac.com)
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 11:45:10 PDT

Howdy folks,

I have been following this thread with interest and decided to chime in
now that 4 days have past and nobody mentioned what I think is the
obvious M1009 difference: The gear ratio of the differential! I
believe that it's a 3.08 and not a 4.56 like you get on M1008s, M1028s,
and M1031s. (I'm not sure about the M1010s). If not a 3.08 it is
still something under 4.56. The 3.08 gears are better for vehicle
mileage (range) and NOT for towing like the 4.56 gears are good for.
The 3.08 gears and larger fuel tanks made the M1009's ideal for command
vehicles that shuttled back and forth between the different field
locations. My engineer company officers and high ranking NCOs used
them all of the time for just that purpose going from construction site
to construction site where all of the different platoons were building
with their equipment. The M1008s and the M1028 tool trucks did most of
the heavy CUCV hauling with the M105 trailers and even occasional water
buffalos. The really heavy stuff was saved for the 5 ton dump trucks.

plaz

1985 M1008