Re: [MV] M35 adventures

From: everette (194cbteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 22:06:37 PDT

Patrick You wrote ""The axles are coupled together. I have heard that if I
remove the interaxle shaft, I must use new bolts when putting it back. Grade
8 fine pitch I assume?

I think my next long run will be with the shaft removed, to try it out."""

Do not have answer to bolt question, however, please let me add this
comment.

The only hazard that I see in doing this is that in soft ground the dead
axle could hold pulling axle up so that you cannot get enough traction on
powered axle to keep from getting stuck. In addition I have been told it is
possible in rough terrain - as in crossing high curb - for dead axle to hold
powered axle up off ground enough to loose traction.

It is my understanding that most commercial tandem axle trucks have a device
call a -power divider- that causes rear axle to become non-powered, and
further there is switch in cab that driver can engage to make the rear axle
be powered should need arise. I have no actual experience in either of
these sanitations but I am sure there are people on list that do have.

To take one step further I have also been told that some commercial trucks
have air-bag suspension and the driver can with flip of switch pick
unpowered axle up off ground - same for one of the two axles under rear of
trailer - to stop tire scrub when cornering in city streets.

Everette