Re: [MV] OT another ploy by ebay

From: J Travis (dagobert@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 10:19:54 PDT

Personally, I use PayPal and have had no trouble with them myself, but I
agree that I don't like having my choices as a seller restricted. But
since eBay now owns PayPal, it would seem like a lawsuit just waiting to
happen against eBay if someone was forced to use PayPal and then lost
their money. Of course, IF the quote was "... if PayPal was made
mandatory to be used as a payment OPTION", then as a seller, I'd simply
state in the payment terms of the auction that I either do not accept
PayPal for this auction, or that IF the buyer insists on using PayPal,
the buyer agrees to pay an additional $1,000 service fee above the cost
of the auction (or $10,000, or whatever) in order to cover the
additional risk and inconvenience to the seller, who greatly prefers
cash, postal money order, soul of firstborn child, shiny glass beads,
walrus pelts, or whatever else you wish to trade in, and all auctions
paid for with PayPal will have shipping delayed up to 6 months to allow
for payment to be processed..." That way, even if it becomes
"mandatory" to include it as an OPTION, you can pretty well guarantee
that no one in their right mind would choose to use it. There's a way
to passively resist almost anything that eBay can try to force on you,
if you get creative enough.

JTravis