Re: [MV] OT another ploy by ebay

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 23:04:28 PDT

As a frequent buyer and seller on eBay, I find PayPal to be the best
part. I buy too many small things to be sending out MOs and Checks, nor
do I want to receive them either. When I buy from European eBay sites (I
do a LOT of it) I have a ton of hassles and a lot of expenses to get
money over there. Unless, of course, they use PayPal. In that case it
is cheap, fast, and works great. I also have a nice, central record of
all payments in and out, which is a big plus for the kind of stuff I do
with it.

As for avoiding eBay... good luck :-) If you want specialized stuff at
reasonable (if not cheap!) prices, there is no other single place one can
go than eBay. As a militaria collector I've managed to snag stuff for
little money that I haven't been able to track down in the 10 years I've
collected prior to the Internet being around. Just got some stuff from a
guy in Switzerland I haven't ever seen for sale in the US. Without
eBay... I wouldn't have it. And as a seller I get top dollar relatively
easily compared to the old days.

Now, I also know eBay and PayPal are not perfect. I hope I don't get bit
by some of the downsides. I've had only minor problems so far and I am
sure I'd have more if I'd done the same transactions without eBay/PayPal.
 However, I will continue to use it as much as possible because I don't
like the alternatives. Having said that, I would hate like Hell to have
PayPal be the sole option. Choice should be left up to the seller and
market forces.

Steve