Re: [MV] The Barrington, NH Truck Show, yes MV & Mog topic approved

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@arrl.net)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 08:27:45 PDT

Hi Nat and Friends,

         Well I just got back from a busy Sunday, left the truck show
around 2:45 PM and headed to an ASE certified mechanic in Manchester to
troubleshoot the M1009.
         Nat, I hate to be the one to tell you this buddy but throw away
your LCD meter you used on my truck, the meter is way out to lunch. Lonnie
the mechanic used a professional quality battery load tester and alternator
tester. Number one alternator checked out OK, number two however was not
charging and when we checked the two batteries for 24/28 volts it read 26.7
volts with the engine idling 0 amps out of the alternator number 2.
Remembering the KISS principle after load testing the batteries (they
tested fine by the way) we started checking fuses. The 10 amp fuse for the
number 2 idiot light was blown. One new 10 amp fuse later number 2 Gen
light light's up!!!! Crossing both fingers and legs (Arms) I started her
up and number 2 idiot light stayed on!! RATTS!!!! Whud duh???? Hey
Lonnie!!! The number 2 light just went out, I think we just blew the
fuse!!!!! Close door walk up front with engine still running, Lonnie has
BEEG Grin on his face and points to test set where I see 14.5 volts and
about 7 amps out of (follow test leads) WOW!!! Gen number 2!!!!! Golly Gee
Whiz Batman but Damn ain't that nice!!!! Both alternators output 14.5 volts
EXACTLY!! Yikes!!!! OK, Onward to the transmission!!!! Shifts real hard
1st to 2nd at 30 MPH and 2nd to third at 50 MPH. First check out vacuum
pump 25.5 inches of mercury just about perfect. 25-27 inches of mercury is
what a new vacuum pump puts out. OK presume ( I know what happens when you
presume) the transmission control valve is ok and crawl under vehicle and
wipe excess (?) grease out of the way and Golly Jeepers Batman but ain't
that little itty bitty piece of hose covered with crap. Wipe it off and
discover it comes off the demodulator way too easy so take it off to
replace and hey is that a crack in dat little hose?? Replace with a piece
of fuel plastic line and out the door for a road test. 30 MPH and bang into
second gear hard. Rats. Turn around and head back and felt minor bimp?
Looked down and I'm in second gear!!**??? press on throttle pedal and rpm
drops and I feel gentle fwomp from vehicle??? WOW!!! Third? WOW!! Shifts
nice and smooth now!!! Spent better than two hours with this guy and total
charge was $30.00 including the fuse and hose, OOS ( old old stock).

         I later over coffee at DD's figured out why the State Forestry
mechanic got rid of the vehicle. " The trannys going and the number 2
generator just went, auction it off. I'll just about bet anyone that's how
it went down. Wonder what that mechanic would say now?

          Next a new turn signal switch then...ahem.....anybody out their
got a NOS tailgate crank for raising and lowering the rear window??

Nat I like the Mog Very Nice.

James or Jim Shanks ( not Paul)